Windows 7 Post PDC - Build 6933

New news and release discussion.
QuiescentWonder
Donator

Windows 7 Post PDC - Build 6933

Post by QuiescentWonder »

This build exists, there are a few screenshots over at Neowin. There is word going around that this has already leaked.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/live/08/10/2 ... ndows-7-ui

"During the Windows 7 reviewers workshop on Sunday Linda Averett demonstrated the user interface enhancements introduced with Windows 7. Keeping with the trend, Averett described herself as a PC, wearing a red top matching her fall coloured desktop with orange and red aero glass tones.

The session was an overview of some new features demonstrated on Windows 7 build 6933.winmain.081020-1842. Unfortunately the build that will be handed out to PDC attendees will not feature most of the enhancements I am about to detail.

First up was the new Windows 7 desktop. The new desktop includes a thicker taskbar, improved system tray and no sidebar. The orb on the start menu also glistens after hover over."

Thlump
Donator

Re: Windows 7 Post PDC - Build 6933

Post by Thlump »

QuiescentWonder wrote:First up was the new Windows 7 desktop. The new desktop includes a thicker taskbar, improved system tray and no sidebar. The orb on the start menu also glistens after hover over."
Why it is that the build tag says winmain? I think it should say lab06 because of what I quoted...

QuiescentWonder
Donator

I don't read every single post. I don't like most of them so I don't bother trying to find ones that are worth reading, I didn't see yours. Unless you're talking about what you quoted in that post? I was just quoting Neowin, hence the quotes around the text.
Last edited by QuiescentWonder on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Thlump wrote:
QuiescentWonder wrote:First up was the new Windows 7 desktop. The new desktop includes a thicker taskbar, improved system tray and no sidebar. The orb on the start menu also glistens after hover over."
Why it is that the build tag says winmain? I think it should say lab06 because of what I quoted...
Lab06 no longer exists anyway. The traditional labs were culled at the Vista Reset.

QuiescentWonder
Donator

It is winmain. Here you go:

Also, found this list of features supposedly in 6933 that aren't in the PDC build on JoeJoe. I'm not sure how accurate this is, I thought ribbon was part of Wordpad and Paint in the PDC build.

Source: http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=17575
In the keynote, just under 30 minutes into the keynote Windows 7 build 6933.winmain.081020-1842 was unleashed from the Microsoft labs. Although this is not the build that PDC attendees will get and many of the features demoed here are not included in the build. I am sure if you were to dig in the build you could find a way of activating the removed features.

Some of the improved/new features:

* UAC is more controllable
* Libraries
* Complete Interface
* Task Tray
* Start Bar
* Start Menu
* Sticky notes built into start menu
* Improved options for themes
* Direct X extended to 2d, animation, and fine looking text
* Ribbon Implemented in Wordpad
* Ribbon in paint
* Individual management for "Home" and "Public Networks"
* Introduction of Homegroups
* USB Bitlocker
* Native VHD mounting via disk management MSC
* Latest Windows Media Player
* Windows Key + P = Presenter UI
* Improved User account settings
* Add Fonts has been removed
* Touch has been implemented (Demoded By HP)
Last edited by QuiescentWonder on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambig

Post by Ambig »

Oh snap!

If my current hardware can run Vista flawlessly, then it should have no problem running Windows 7? Correct?

QuiescentWonder
Donator

From what I've read Windows 7 should run better than Vista on the same hardware. Of course that doesn't really mean anything at this point.

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

Thlump wrote:
Why does many people still think every goodies is in lab06?
Only pre-alpha longhorn builds had lab06, I don't even think XP does. But it did have lab01.

the good lab is the ux lab, which never be leak or the employee will be in deep (censored).

Dr Eggman

Post by Dr Eggman »

Ohhh.....

I like the new look over Vista. Maybe I'll update to it if it gets leaked =) Running XP now.

....Just hope it comes in x86....
I am The Eggman! -The Doctor
Like Pictures? Bored? Check out some Photography and "Like" it! Check it out here!

Derf
Donator

Post by Derf »

Dr Eggman wrote:Ohhh.....

I like the new look over Vista. Maybe I'll update to it if it gets leaked =) Running XP now.

....Just hope it comes in x86....
It comes in both x86 and 64-bit. The final version of Windows 7 will also.

F44 Control

Post by F44 Control »

Paul Thurrott has his hands on Windows 7 right now. :]

(Images taken from the WinSuperSite)

Kenneth
Donator

Post by Kenneth »

It won't be much longer before it leaks.

Saarineames

Post by Saarineames »

Paul Thurrott... pfft. Lucky SOB.

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

Saarineames wrote:Paul Thurrott... pfft. Lucky SOB.
he gets them anyways, he has MS connections too

We all say hes an (censored), but in reality, if we are living like him, we'll be alot happier (beta wise).

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

so we're getting 6801 and ms is past 6935

It's not really possible to compile 135 builds in 2 weeks, therefore it problary means the branched out and created a special PDC build just for attendees and jump the number to 69xx.
Or they have been loving the attendees this year that they spent 100 days recompling the same build that thebuild number remain the same.

XX55XX

Post by XX55XX »

I like it. I'm more hyped for than this than I was for Vista.

Hopefully it leaks within the next two weeks. Would make an excellent early Christmas present.

Saarineames

Post by Saarineames »

XDude wrote:
Saarineames wrote:Paul Thurrott... pfft. Lucky SOB.
he gets them anyways, he has MS connections too

We all say hes an (censored), but in reality, if we are living like him, we'll be alot happier (beta wise).
Yes, I know. Actually I have nothing against the guy, unlike a lot of people.

constrictor
Donator

Post by constrictor »

I like him a lot. He gets to test all the stuff we don't lol.

ddew
Donator

Post by ddew »

Man, I wish I'd went to PDC. WinHEC is a little out of my area but PDC would be perfect. Looks well worth the price for attendence judging from all the BOF sessions and presentations. Maybe next time.

Thlump
Donator

Post by Thlump »

constrictor wrote:I like him a lot. He gets to test all the stuff we don't lol.
Thats what he gets for publishing a magazine, and writing reviews for beta/RTMed MS products.

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

ddew wrote:Man, I wish I'd went to PDC. WinHEC is a little out of my area but PDC would be perfect. Looks well worth the price for attendence judging from all the BOF sessions and presentations. Maybe next time.
I'm not that rich to spend 3K in a week.
What do they get that's so worth the price? The hdd and pre release software is not worth 3K.
You got to watch the presentations from day to night.

SaT

Post by SaT »

Thlump wrote:
Thats what he gets for publishing a magazine, and writing reviews for beta/RTMed MS products.
i bet the i can do better than him, and not just me i know alot of guys that can do 100 times better than him.

He is just a Apple Fan and something else...

ddew
Donator

Post by ddew »

SaT wrote:
Thlump wrote:
i bet the i can do better than him, and not just me i know alot of guys that can do 100 times better than him.

He is just a Apple Fan and something else...
You talk the talk, but can you walk the walk? It's one thing to be all high and mighty claiming you can outdo someone but it's an entirely different thing actually doing it. Being a journalist is way trickier than it looks, I used to be the editor of a magazine with about 60K readers and I'm not sure even I could do what PT is doing.

And yes, he does have a MacBook but according to him he mostly runs Windows on it. I can totally see that, the MacBooks are very sexy and I have an MBP myself running WinServer 2008.

inxsfan92

Post by inxsfan92 »

so do you think the PDC build has activation and a timebomb in it?

pizzaboy192

Post by pizzaboy192 »

its probably got the new standard timebomb (2 hours then BSOD!)

i hope not though, 2 hours gives you little time to really test it...