phpBB3 Sneaky Peek - This time for real!

Information and news about the website will be posted here.
Andy
Administrator

phpBB3 Sneaky Peek - This time for real!

Post by Andy »

Hello all,

I finally started work on the phpBB3 conversion on my own this time. Here is a sneaky peek.

Remember its not finished and has a lot of work needing doing to it, but so far, what do you think? Do you think you will like to use this template? What would you suggest needs changing?

I know its basic but remember, the site is supposed to be functional, not as good looking as a sports car. Sure it has to have elegance and unique features but it doesn't have to be the most wonderful thing you ever saw.

Andy (Admin)
Last edited by Andy on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Looks good, i like it.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

It looks very intresting, and I'm sure it will look good with this website and forum.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

I think probably the only problem with it is the fact its fixed width... But they can often look better since if someone posts something that relies on the width of their screen being a certain size then it will look the same for everyone if it remains fixed width. I also like fixed with sites myself because it always looks the same on everyones screen rather than squashed on some and spread out on others. It also makes coding for it easier, as you know the size restraints.

djdanster

Post by djdanster »

would love to use it.
Cant wait

bns06

Post by bns06 »

Looks really good Andy

IainK

Post by IainK »

It looks like it's coming along Ok but! it's a shame it doesn't match the site as closely as this skin!

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

Looks good, but any chance of a true (as in we can log in, play around, ect) sneaky peak for the VIPs?
-Jeff

merty

Post by merty »

It's really looking good. Good Job Andy.

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Did some of the posts made here disappear with the hacking or whatever it was earlier? I made a comment to say does it really have to be fixed-width as it means more vertical scrolling and wasting half of a widescreen monitor (and also a note to remind you that peek is to look while a peak is a mountain...), but it seems to have disappeared?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:Did some of the posts made here disappear with the hacking or whatever it was earlier? I made a comment to say does it really have to be fixed-width as it means more vertical scrolling and wasting half of a widescreen monitor, but it seems to have disappeared?
I deleted it because it had been edited by the Bender account. It said you were policing and being grammar police and locked the topic because of flaming, of which I knew you didn't do because there was no flaming in the topic. So, not knowing if you even wrote any of it, I removed it.

Vista Ultimate R2

Ah, ok, well I did say that I prefer sites that expand to fill the screen, and also thought I'd point out the spelling issue as it makes it look a little unprofessional (not criticising, just my comments!)

On that subject a few other topics do seem to have been randomly locked, it's maybe worth you having a look at them as I wasn't sure if someone locked them for a reason or if they were part of this - it'd be good if you could get to the bottom of what happened by the way, it's a bit worrying if there is some hacker around!

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:Ah, ok, well I did say that I prefer sites that expand to fill the screen, and also thought I'd point out the spelling issue as it makes it look a little unprofessional (not criticising, just my comments!)

On that subject a few other topics do seem to have been randomly locked, it's maybe worth you having a look at them as I wasn't sure if someone locked them for a reason or if they were part of this - it'd be good if you could get to the bottom of what happened by the way, it's a bit worrying if there is some hacker around!
They are always locked for a reason so if you see one thats been locked without reason given, unlock it. If it was done by Bender then of course, unlock it.

I believe the Bender account was simply either brute forced, someone harvested his password, or it was Bender himself (which I find hard to believe it would be). However as a precaution he has lost all rights to login to the site and all mod, VIP and advanced members access.

Vista Ultimate R2

Thanks - hope you reinstate his account once you've confirmed it wasn't him though, it would be unfair to blame him for it if it was the work of a hacker.

Gnome
Donator

Post by Gnome »

Ooooo cant we have a link???
Looks brilliant.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:Thanks - hope you reinstate his account once you've confirmed it wasn't him though, it would be unfair to blame him for it if it was the work of a hacker.
Of course I will if its confirmed it wasn't him. Unfortunately I have no proof since phpBB2 doesn't log IP's unless posts are made, and the hacker never posted. I'm quite reluctant to let Bender become a mod again quite so quickly, even if he claims it wasn't him. I'd need more proof...

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Toshua123 wrote:Ooooo cant we have a link???
Looks brilliant.
Not unless Andy gives it to you ...

blahsucks-two

Post by blahsucks-two »

I like the current logo, though; it's a bit more distinctive. Still, phpBB3 is a big improvement on its own.

J.Byrne
Donator

Post by J.Byrne »

I like it, but it looks a bit bland when compared to the forum as it is today.
I'd like to see more of the colour blue

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

It's very nice. And since this site could do with a new look as it's been pretty much the same ever since I joined up.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I don't like it. The blue bar below the header and these two blue buttons (New Reply, New Topic) doesn't fit together with the other colors.

In my opinion this one looked better:

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Daniel wrote:I don't like it. The blue bar below the header and these two blue buttons (New Reply, New Topic) doesn't fit together with the other colors.

In my opinion this one looked better:

Remember I did say it was unfinished and needs a lot of work doing to it. The whole template is a blue, black and white template, so they -do- go together quite well. Web designs work on the basis of 3 or 4 common colours, and never more. This template also sticks to that rule.

There are going to be people unhappy with the new template, of course, just as they are with the current template. Its not easy to please everyone!

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Yes, you are right, but what I meant is that these buttons are a way to bright (imo)

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Daniel wrote:Yes, you are right, but what I meant is that these buttons are a way to bright (imo)
I'd tend to agree, changing them to one of the other shades of blue that you've used in there would look better imo.

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

Andy wrote:
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:Thanks - hope you reinstate his account once you've confirmed it wasn't him though, it would be unfair to blame him for it if it was the work of a hacker.
Of course I will if its confirmed it wasn't him. Unfortunately I have no proof since phpBB2 doesn't log IP's unless posts are made, and the hacker never posted. I'm quite reluctant to let Bender become a mod again quite so quickly, even if he claims it wasn't him. I'd need more proof...
Would it not be possible to check the Abyss Logs? Just wondering... (even though you probably would have to sift through tons, couldn't you just do a find for the mod panel page?)
-Jeff