OSBA Os Beta Archive

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
J.Byrne
Donator

OSBA Os Beta Archive

Post by J.Byrne »

Let me Start By Saying that if your ex OSBA, then this post will bore you to death.

Many of the people here on Beta Archive today come from a forum that was closed down in august 2006 known as OSBA, or OS Beta Archive. If you have not been around for very long (like myself) or you are a complete newbie, then the most you would know of OSBA is from Andy's blurb about this site on the frontpage.

This is what OSBA looked like. If you want to explore the few archived pages and get a feel for it yourself, http://web.archive.org/web/200608131127 ... chive.com/]
As you can see, OSBA was an ipb based forum, and so it looks rather much like most other forums.
As of August 13 2006, OSBA had 3094 members, as opposed to BetaArchive, which at the time of my writing this, has a mere 704.
If you are interested in a more in-deph look at the posts, http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/view ... 42ac0ed0c8
As You can read in that archive, their was alot of tension between members, and flame wars the likes of which you would never see here broke out.
It is also interesting to note some of the names that appear in the archives above.
KenOath, FiFi, XDude and Luckie, just to name a few, are well known names here, and may well be reading this now.
OSBA closed at 10pm GMT on the 17th August 2006.

Before it's closing the administrator, sHARD>>, had this to say:
sHARD>>- wrote:Betas are just about being 1337, but that didn't used to be the case. When I came to OSBA, we were all interested in the evolution of the operating system, of seeing what was possible, and seeing what had failed. In a way we were technological history officianados. But now we've lost that. The beta scene is all about hording betas; it's dominated by 13 year olds who spend their time starting petty fights and creaming over elitism.
So that was OSBA for those who weren't around for it. I hope i have not annoyed any of the ex OSBA by posting this as I know OSBA meant alot to alot of people. If you have anything to add (like info on the people behind OSBA and its server) please say something as i think this post is far from finished.

Andrew
Donator

Post by Andrew »

I think a different age-group of people have became the norm within the two groups. OSBA's members seemed a little older than some of the newer users here, not that that is necessarily a bad thing. It's still pretty neat to talk to members I haven't talked to since the OSBA breakup, seems like only a few months ago :\

I do think that this forum is more innocent and computer focused than OSBA was near its end time. It was good seeing a portion of the group restabilize here after the breakup, I guess I should have said this earlier, but job well done Andy.

As for your requote of sHARD>>, I think much remains the same. The people hosting the server: He/she/them have/has moved on, and have/has reinforced various times that they no longer want caught up in drama.
Last edited by Andrew on Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Just about everyone who posts here knows about it, so why did you bring it up?
As of August 13 2006, OSBA had 3094 members, as opposed to BetaArchive, which at the time of my writing this, has a mere 704.
Well don't you wonder why? BA started up the day OSBA closed. Started from scratch, zero, nothing. Also we use user pruning so show the -real- number of people using the site. No posts in 24 hours means your user account is deleted. If I didn't do that we'd have close to 6x the number of members. Unlike OSBA we have a stricter regime of how things work and the way we display statistics.

Anyway what the number of members got to do with anything?

The people who ran OSBA don't get involved in the scene anymore. Grabberslasher (who doesn't use that name now) does occasionally but never shares any of his collected files because he was used so much back in the OSBA days.

There isn't much else to be said. Most people just want to leave OSBA behind because of all the arguing, noobs and problems it carried.

J.Byrne
Donator

Post by J.Byrne »

The number of members has nothing to do with anything, i didn't mean anything personal, sorry.
Just an interesting statistical fact.

ppc_digger
Donator

Post by ppc_digger »

jabster wrote:Just an interesting statistical fact.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
- Benjamin Disraeli

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

half of the members at OSBA were "0 posters"
there is like 1500+ of them

OSBA had many members who are part of the so called (group) and had many unleaks. They didn't register on BA and hence that there isn't any unleaks being leaked.
OSBA's released a week had pure unleaked betas but our release a fortnight is releaking past leaks.

then the admins started wars against eachother and promoted angry staffs so that was the downfall.

We, here at BA don't have any of the points mentioned above.

Mr. Bird Poo
Donator

Post by Mr. Bird Poo »

Well I don't know if anyone would remember me but I was a previous member on OSBA. And one reason there is a lack of members is because a lot of the lesser posters werent told the new site. I just randomly though abought it today and did a google and found this site. O well +1 on the member count

PS New site looks great, not finished looking but good work
We're all gonna die anyway, so what's the point?

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit, AMD Phenom 9950BE OC to 3.01GHz, 8GB OCZ Platinum 1066MHz, 1TB HDD, BFG nVidia GeForce GTX 285 OC 1GB, SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Edition Champion Series

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Mr. Bird Poo wrote:Well I don't know if anyone would remember me but I was a previous member on OSBA. And one reason there is a lack of members is because a lot of the lesser posters werent told the new site. I just randomly though abought it today and did a google and found this site. O well +1 on the member count

The new site was kept secret because they only wanted the best members to remain in the closed community.

If you're referring to this site as the "new site" then we've been around for 2 years and this is as finished looking as its going to get It has a lot more stuff than OSBA did thats for sure.

KenOath

Post by KenOath »

Mr. Bird Poo wrote:Well I don't know if anyone would remember me but I was a previous member on OSBA. And one reason there is a lack of members is because a lot of the lesser posters werent told the new site. I just randomly though abought it today and did a google and found this site. O well +1 on the member count

Hey I remember you, from OSBA & from oldos.org...

Andy wrote:It has a lot more stuff than OSBA did thats for sure.
Dunno what makes you think that, from what I'm told, most of what you're
leaking in the release-a-fortnight scheme is just re-releases from the OSBA
days...

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

KenOath wrote:
Andy wrote:It has a lot more stuff than OSBA did thats for sure.
Dunno what makes you think that, from what I'm told, most of what you're
leaking in the release-a-fortnight scheme is just re-releases from the OSBA
days...
I'm talking about the screenshots section, wiki, etc. And actually, they're not re-releases. They were never on the server but they're not un-leaked either.

KenOath

Post by KenOath »

Andy wrote:I'm talking about the screenshots section, wiki, etc. And actually, they're not re-releases. They were never on the server but they're not un-leaked either.
Yeah I guess overall, the place does have more to offer as far as info goes, when you
said it has a lot more "stuff" I saw it as downloads, when you really meant it has a lot
more in general to offer, although I'd say your server probably has more in volume
than most others too..!

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

KenOath wrote:
Andy wrote:I'm talking about the screenshots section, wiki, etc. And actually, they're not re-releases. They were never on the server but they're not un-leaked either.
Yeah I guess overall, the place does have more to offer as far as info goes, when you
said it has a lot more "stuff" I saw it as downloads, when you really meant it has a lot
more in general to offer, although I'd say your server probably has more in volume
than most others too..!
Yeah. I don't know of any other site with the variety we offer with such speed, in any such shape or form, so I like to think of BA as having the largest collection of beta OS's etc available on the web