News category [Suggestion]

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
XDude
Donator

News category [Suggestion]

Post by XDude »

I got a suggestion:

I was thinking of sub categories to the news section like windows news, linux news, software news and etc.

I think it makes it easier to find a certain news since there is quite a lot of news being posted by new members.

Beta Freak

Post by Beta Freak »

Yeah, sounds good to me as well.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

We already have way too many sections to be honest which is why I am reluctant to add any more. When Koptor suggested the changes to what we have late last year we removed at least 7 or 8 sections because we simply had too many.

We have a news section for news. Its not feasible to add more because it would end up people wanting a sub section of the windows discussion for longhorn, vista, xp etc etc so on and so forth.

So the answer is no, at the moment. I doubt the decision will change quickly. I even think we have too many at the moment but we can't compact any more than we already have.

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

Andy wrote:We already have way too many sections to be honest which is why I am reluctant to add any more. When Koptor suggested the changes to what we have late last year we removed at least 7 or 8 sections because we simply had too many.
Hence the sub-forums?
Sub-forums don't take up very much space on the front page, cause they should just appear as links underneath the top-level forum name. Plus it would make it easier to find things in the news, as you could avoid all the no-name application betas and go straight to the Windows 7 news, for example.

That's assuming phpBB even does subforums ... this is why we should consider moving to a more-featured forum system like SMF...
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

merty

Post by merty »

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
Andy wrote:We already have way too many sections to be honest which is why I am reluctant to add any more. When Koptor suggested the changes to what we have late last year we removed at least 7 or 8 sections because we simply had too many.
That's assuming phpBB even does subforums ... this is why we should consider moving to a more-featured forum system like SMF...
phpBB2 doesn't do subforums, though phpBB3 does.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Theres enough forums as it is

longview

Post by longview »

Nobody would read them after the first two weeks this idea sucks.
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Posting news isn't a bad idea, the problem is that not all news are good news. There is an increase of "news spam" where new users simply google up any news and just post them, even if the contents is totally irrelevant and even not interesting. So we need to get less and more interesting news and preferrably news posted by people that knows how to do proper verification and followups of news.

And as Andy said, it would be too messy to have a ton of forums and half a ton of subforums... One news forum is enough if the quality is high.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube