Windows XP Embedded?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Danielxv

Windows XP Embedded?

Post by Danielxv »

I made download of Windows XP Embedded SP1 and SP2 in the Microsoft site, but I would like to know as I make to appear “Windows XP Embedded” in the "About Windows"

Ty
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

I think this comes standard.

Try to compile a SP1 and a SP2 build, test in VPC using the net use command and ROBOCOPY.

Robocopy is found in the Windows Server 2003 utilities in the microsoft download site.

For the first timers or beginners, try this:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa460095.aspx

Here you can build a working first build.
This applies to Windows XP Embedded SP1 and SP2.

Danielxv

Post by Danielxv »

How to Demonstrate Windows XP Embedded using Virtual PC wrote: To start your new Virtual Machine, use the Windows PE CD (CD 1 of your Windows Embedded tools). (The Windows XP Embedded evaluation CD is available at this web site.
The versions available in the Microsoft site (SP1 and SP2) is a pack of files and not images with boot, and the link "this web site" sends to a page that asks for user and password.

Ty
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

You can use a normal XP PE boot CD-ROM.

Only add the XPE folder from the First CD.
And add the UTILITIES folder from the Server 2003 Utilities download.

Most of the data on the first must be installed on your Technician computer not the target (VPC) machine.

If you want you can use a BartPE disk with those folder integrated on the CD.

Danielxv

Post by Danielxv »

Thanks for helping.

I wanted to do the installation only by curiosity, I thought that the installation was simple, as to install Windows XP. I do not understand how to install, then I will continue curious

Ty

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

If you follow the guidelines and take a bootalbe PE disk then deploying in a VM should take no longer then a few minutes (because that windows fits on a CD).

Only the making of the process is difficult (you can take Videoclasses that are from microsoft).

Danielxv

Post by Danielxv »

The Windows XP Embedded has no separate service pack? only with Service Pack? Maybe because the XPe should be compiled and not "installed"?

Ty

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Danielxv wrote:The Windows XP Embedded has no separate service pack? only with Service Pack? Maybe because the XPe should be compiled and not "installed"?

Ty
You install the first disk (1) and second disk (2) thats XP SP1, and disk (3) is SP2.

Then you can compile your build and then copy it to the VM / Real machine and then a mini setup takes place with Microsoft Boot agent and this is setting the final settings, but that shouldnt take to long.

XPe is compiled and not an complete windows setup because the image your are building is specific for that machine.

Danielxv

Post by Danielxv »

As the XPe is compiled, the SP is the updates to the files used in the compilation, but what I do not understand is why the name of the SP is "Windows XP With Service Pack 1" and "Windows XP With Service Pack 2" where "With" is used only when the Service Pack was integrated with Windows.

Example:
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Pack to update Windows XP)
Windows XP With Service Pack 2 (Windows XP with Service Pack integrated)

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

The XP Embedded SP1 = Microsoft Windows XP Embedded WITH Service Pack 1.
The XP Embedded SP2 (CD 3, updates the files but is also) = Microsoft Windows XP Embedded WITH Service Pack 2.

You will need to install all three disks.

When you compile a build of only the first two disks then you will get an XP Embedded WITH SP1.

When you compile a build of all disks installed the you will get an XP Embedded WITH SP2.

Thats because with the install, all XP files are copyed to a folder, disk 3 updates those files to SP2.

Danielxv

Post by Danielxv »

DjRob, this I understood, the strange thing is that the SP2 is an update and the certain name would be "Windows Embedded Service Pack 2" since the "With" is used only when the OS comes with the SP.

Example:
Windows XP With Service Pack 1 (Install OS and SP)
Windows XP With Service Pack 2 (Install OS and SP)
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Update the OS)

In the case of Embedded the names are:
Windows Embedded With Service Pack 1 (Install OS and SP)
Windows Embedded With Service Pack 2 (Install OS and SP)

The certainty would be:
Windows Embedded With Service Pack 1 (Install OS and SP)
Windows Embedded Service Pack 2 (Update the OS)
Last edited by Danielxv on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Ok thanks, good that its a clear now.

I am building my own XP embedded now again.