Windows FLP

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
dirtwarrior

Windows FLP

Post by dirtwarrior »

I know it is an image install similar to vista I think it is called a wim or something like that. How would I unpack this an repack it as a regular install?
Why? So an unattended install can be implimented and a few reg tweaks too.
Is this a good project?

casablanca

Re: Windows FLP

Post by casablanca »

dirtwarrior wrote:I know it is an image install similar to vista I think it is called a wim or something like that. How would I unpack this an repack it as a regular install?
Why? So an unattended install can be implimented and a few reg tweaks too.
Is this a good project?
To extract .wim files, you have to use ImageX (Or XImage, I forgot which way it goes ) Which is found in the Buisness Desktop Deployment Beta. But it's not availible publicly yet, only if you registered on time on Connect
Anyways, I thought FLP has an unattended install? If it doesn't I say full steam ahead!

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

How would I go about getting this app then?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

dirtwarrior wrote:How would I go about getting this app then?
Google might be a good start

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

only part of it opened

mtttt

Post by mtttt »

what is windows FLP?

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

TheWahbinator

Post by TheWahbinator »

For this particular wim you need ximage 4059 (as opposed to ImageX included in the WAIK/WOPK).
My friend EmoAddict15 has it up for download
http://emo.toastednet.org/iex_lh/Utilit ... 4059.0.rar

betaistheway

Post by betaistheway »

Hmm Windows FLP is quite a good project, I know I have a Fujitsu ICL PC which one of my clients is wanting me to upgrade it so he can run XP, I am going to attempt to get XP on then put it FLP then put the HDD back into the PC, would this cause problems with activation.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

I don't really understand your question. What are you trying to accomplish? FLP doesn't need to be activated, AFAIK. .

betaistheway

Post by betaistheway »

Call me stupid but is FLP separate to XP or is it just a case of editing to Reg

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Windows FLP is based on Windows XP Embedded, so yes, even though it's based on XP, it's a different OS than XP Home or Pro, you'll have to install it just as you would install regular XP. FLP doesn't need to be activated, additionally, even if you run the "Activate Windows" wizard, it'll tell you that Windows is already activated, even after a fresh install. That's the reason it only accepts XP Pro VLKs...
Last edited by empireum on Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

betaistheway

Post by betaistheway »

Ok cheers for clearing that up....do you know where I could get a copy?

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

It's on one of the servers.

betaistheway

Post by betaistheway »

KL cheers

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

betaistheway wrote:Hmm Windows FLP is quite a good project, I know I have a Fujitsu ICL PC which one of my clients is wanting me to upgrade it so he can run XP, I am going to attempt to get XP on then put it FLP then put the HDD back into the PC, would this cause problems with activation.
You don't need to put XP on first - FLP is a standalone OS. It takes the same keys as XP VLK and therefore doesn't need activating - it's only available to MS Volume Licensing customers.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Yeah, that's what I told him, more or less I

cooled

Post by cooled »

Sounds good for a old pc but wouldnt 2000 be a better os for that purpose?

Fusion
Donator

Post by Fusion »

cooled wrote:Sounds good for a old pc but wouldnt 2000 be a better os for that purpose?

Yeah, Windows 2000 runs really good on old PC's and will not limited the features of the OS.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Fusion wrote:
cooled wrote:Sounds good for a old pc but wouldnt 2000 be a better os for that purpose?

Yeah, Windows 2000 runs really good on old PC's and will not limited the features of the OS.
I second that but the support for Win2K will eventually completely end in 2010. The support for WinFLP will last at least a few years longer, so that's a plus. And, WinFLP allows you to install without the IE if you don't want it. On Win2K, you have to remove it manually using nLite and the like. Comparing system requirements, I'd choose Win2K if there's at least 96-128MB of RAM and FLP if there's only 64MB or if you need to run newer programs that won't run on Win2K. Something to mention is that Win2K with SP4 will use as much RAM as XP if untweaked. Don't misunderstand that, Win2K is still my preferred OS, especially on older hardware that struggles with XP, but FLP is not bad either. I'd personally probably dual-boot the two

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

I used FLP for about 2 weeks. It is a limited OS. I reccomend windows 2000 for older computers.

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

dirtwarrior wrote:I used FLP for about 2 weeks. It is a limited OS.
In which way? I took a look to it in a VM and I liked it
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

I used it as a full install as my main OS. I find this is the only to test an OS.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

This is how I usually test OSes, too. And in which way was it limited for you?

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

empireum wrote:And in which way was it limited for you?
I also want to know this
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."