welcome center

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
dirtwarrior

welcome center

Post by dirtwarrior »

Admin edit: Image removed. Use the BA image uploader. You should know this by now.

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

I don't have Vista so I don't know what changed. What did you do with it?

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Re: welcome center

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

dirtwarrior wrote:Admin edit: Image removed. Use the BA image uploader. You should know this by now.
Okay, now the Admin is just doing this to [censored] people off. <_<

Anyhow, assuming this is the Welcome Center that comes up on every boot, then you can edit oobefldr.dll to change the look of the welcome center. It's got some interesting XML schema that controls the layout, as well as a set of bitmaps.
Last edited by pr0gram the pr0grammer on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

Andy
Administrator

Re: welcome center

Post by Andy »

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote: Okay, now the Admin is just doing this to p**s people off. <_<
No, its a forum rule. This member has been registered for almost a year now and should know the rules by now. It doesn't take 30 seconds to upload images to the BA image uploader.

marxo

Post by marxo »

This is Welcom Center now:

And this is how it looked before awergh and I started making it:

I think you notice the difference...
May our software be open-source, and our women closed-source.

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 20:55 Reply with quote

Windows Lupus Welcome Center [WLP component]

Overview

Authors
- awergh is guilty for bringing this beauty to life. He did the coding. I only designed the UI.
- This was supposed to be a reproduction of Vista's Welcome Center which eventually ended up looking like that "thing" (screenshot).
- Basically just a thing to replace the old, stupid, boring Welcome.exe.

Two versions
- The first one is the awergh's original vista-like that will probably be used in Windows NT4 Visual Update Project and the second one is this one on the image, which is called Windows Lupus Welcome Center.

Possibilities

User Picture
- In the top right corner you see a frame and an avatar inside. That is actually our implementation of "User Account Picture" from XP or something that should represent the user. The image is 46x46 BMP and it is located in %systemroot%\system32\oobefldr.bmp

System Information
- System Information Tab is on the right side of the big display and it gives some info about the installed OS, Service Pack, RAM and Computer Name.

Get Started with Windows
- Get Started with Windows is the mayor part of the Welcome Center. It will help you tweak your OS, it will help you find more about your PC, it will help you connect to Internet or maybe change a user password, it's almost all you wish to know after you do a fresh install.

Activity Center
- Activity Center is the part where you will find specific info about the modification and OS you've installed. At this moment it is only available in Windows Lupus version. By clicking on What's New icon you will be able to find out more about Windows Lupus Project and its upgrades.

Screenshots

Screenshot by marxo

I hope that awergh will edit the post and write something about the version for NT4 (i don't have it) and maybe u'll see some screenshots of it too.

*WLWC will not be available for download separately from WLP project.

NT4 Welcome Center

- There are a few changes, such as add new users instead of change user password.
- I've made it display the CPU speed, couldn't get it to work on 98se (showed 0Mhz).
- The NT4 version goes to the appropriate locations for things, the Add New User goes to musrmgr.exe, not sure how that would effect it if it is running on win2k or something.

Freak180

Post by Freak180 »

what program did you use to make it?

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

I didnt make it. I just got permission to use it.

marxo

Post by marxo »

It was made in Visual Basic...
May our software be open-source, and our women closed-source.